The little 'extra services' that one provides will almost guarantee a steady business in the future. I always try to do that for customers. I'm fortunate enough to live 2 miles out of town and can test fire rifles to 100 yards right in my backyard. All rifles I've built are tested for function and chambering before delivery.

This reminds me of a (now) funny story that happened to me last year about this time. A fellow had dropped off a Ruger M77 at the local sporting goods store and was complaining of 'light strikes' and wanted me to check it out. As soon as I got it home I loaded 3 rounds of 30-06 in the magazine and went outside for an initial test fire. All three chambered, fired normally and ejected properly. All primers had nice deep dents in them. Tore the bolt apart to check for any foreign item that may have interferred with the firing pin when the customer had it. Nothing. Everything was clean, no burrs, proper tension etc. In short, I found nothing wrong. Sent it back. Next day, the store owner calls and tells me the guy is back, getting light strikes and is mad. I told Mike to send the guy out to me with the rifle and we'll take care if it right now.

The guy comes out, sort of calmed down by then and shows me the unfired rounds with very light dents in the primers, none would go off. I gave him a set of 'ears', donned my own and told him to follow me. Outside we went. I loaded those SAME rounds in the magazine, jacked one into the chamber and proceeded to fire every one of them. You should have seen the look on his face. He couldn't believe it. I loaded and fired 10 more rounds until he knew damn well the rifle was fine.

Here's what was happening. He's RH and when he chambered a round and dropped the bolt handle, his forefinger was JUST touching the bolt when he was gripping the rifle and it was moving the bolt up JUST a tad, but enough to ensure the firing pin could not get a full run at the primer.

Was he embarrassed?????? Does a starving dog like a T-Bone?

He's been a good customer ever since.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!