I've got an older 4X Leupold, that I bought in 1984, an even older, bought used 3X Leupold, a bought used 7.5XAO Leupold that is as old as any and a 3-9X33 Compact that I've had since 2001. All have friction adjustments.
I've got two 6X42's that have windage adjustments that are still of the friction type. One, which like it's brother, had a target style elevation turret, but has now been replaced with the original friction style dial.
None of these have ever changed zero. And that includes some really nasty falls and bumps. One of the reasons why I like Leupolds so much. And the reason why I've kept these scopes. Even though they are all single coated, so called inferior optics.
Yes, I rezero them at times for different ammunition.
I've heard all about tapping the scope. Or shooting it to get it to change zero. Never have I done that. If I ever do, the scope goes back to Leupold to get fixed.
I have had them not move quite as much as they should, or even a bit more than they should when adjusting them. But all of them can be, and are, zeroed exactly where I want them. I'm fussy about that.
So, they may not move as precisely as the more expensive, newer finger tip stuff does on the VX3, or like my new FX3, but, they won't move once zeroed. E