Depends on what you want it for. If you're going to hunt stateside and AK, then the 375 Ruger is fine. I was just at a camp in northern Tanzania in August and September. The only ammo available was .375 H&H and .458 Win. There wasn't a round of .375 Ruger to be had. We showed up with two hunters and two .375 H&H's and a .458 Win. I took the guns over for us, so I was limited to five kilos of ammo for all three rifles. We squeaked by with what I brought, but only because there were two animals on my license that were not available due to the severe drought. I would have had plenty of spare H&H to choose from.

I could care less about getting into a discussion about the superiority of either cartridge, the Ruger or the H&H. But if you intend to hunt Africa, leave the Ruger at home, unless you are absolutely positively certain that the airline won't lose your luggage and your ammo supply along with it. Those are the facts in one area of Africa I've spent two safaris hunting.

The .375H&H, the .458 Win Mag and , possibly, the 9.3x62 are the most common cartridges in Africa. They are among the best available and will do it all. So make your choice based on the projected utilization of the rifle. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by beechdrvr; 09/26/09.