Travis,

There once was a very large female lab retriever (large for a lab anyway) wandering our neighborhood and pestering livestock for about a 1.5 mile radius. Apparently she had been dumped out here for some considerate farmer to adopt. But she was wild as a march hare.

I watched that lab take a 41 cal 170 gr sierra jhc broadside to the heart from fifty yards. The bullet had been launched at 1875 fps and penetrated through and through.

And then I watched in open mouthed amazement as the dog leaped to its feet and ran full tilt for over seventy yards before stumbling head over heels and falling over dead.

I took two lessons from this
1: Nothing smaller than a 41 mag is fit for big game hunting.
2:For goblins at home defense ranges, do not expect instantaneous incapacitation with anything but a CNS hit.

I have been saying this for many years. I have seen numerous deer travel amazing distances with the heart and lungs totally destroyed from a 30-06 and a 165 gr bullet.

An armed man can inflict horrendous damage even though he be "walking dead". No handgun can incapacitate a human quickly enough to prevent that without taking out the spine or brain.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.