Freind bought new Model Seven 243 about 5 years ago, had a gunsmith do bedding job, looks good. In developing reload, checked free float good, squeezed stock to barrel little movement, pulled out on stock holding barrel & stock popped out about 3/8", squeeze it pops back together. So this is how I found the issue.

Went to unscrew front guard screw, tight as hell, took some torque to loosen. So the problem, with stock off or on the screw only turns in about 1 & 1/2 threads & locks up tight. I thought wrong screw, ordered new from Brownell Model Seven screw same thing. Took a screw out of a Remington 700 same thing 1 & 1/2 turns tight.

Cleaned threads in action ,looks good, a Weatherby screw will go all way in & out but wobbles, of course because it is wrong screw but will thread in. The 2 Model Seven screw fit in 1/4" x 28 die, so before I carefully run in a 1/4" x 28 tap to dress the threads, I wanted to ask if there is some odball screw or reason out there? Could the screw be the wrong one still?

I can only think someone ran in wrong sized screw, maybe one of those kits with T-hanles used in bedding. Does anyone know the exact thread size it should be?

Thanks for thoughts in advance.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin