Originally Posted by atkinson
I think it was 1956 or 57, I got the Gibbs craze as all the gunworld was dancing in the streets over his new revelation...

I bought a set of "Hydralic case forming dies from Gibbs" another revelation of the highest order...You filled those puppys with 30 wt. oil and hit the plunger with a hammer and viola you had a Gibbs case, or at least that was the plan..In reality you squirted oil all over the shop, all over yourself and your clothes, the oil soaked kids screamed and ran yelling to mama, daddys gone nuts, and the windows blew out and cuss words echoed into the surrounding canyons of the ranch house...and the case was still a standard 30-06 case except it was full of oil! smile smile

Shortly thereafter and three soakings in gasoline and other oil cutting products, and several baths, and a couple of showers for me and the kids, a clean me dumped those old Gibbs rifles along with my expensive case forming dies and reloading dies, on some other poor soul and I ended up with his old pre 64 300 H&H, an outdated old gun that had seen its best days or so I was told. I still have that 300 H&H and its probably the last gun I will ever part with..:) smile smile It still shoots 1/2 inch groups with most loads, all loads to the same POI, and it will push a 200 gr. Nosler at an easy 3000 FPS, and can only be bested by the 300Wby and a couple of those new big 30s that go bang too loud, kick the bejesus out of you and they only beat my H&H by 100 FPS..

Now that is funny. I'd buy the book.