PP,

Of course you're right about having it back in about two weeks.
My issue with Leupold on the hard to turn power rings is about having them take care of the problem before variable power scopes leave the plant. This is not a new problem, and I can't tell you the number of complaints about the difficulty turning that ring I've read in the past; not just here on 24 hour either.
Yesterday morning, the temperature was in the high 20's. I went to the range to zero the VX-II, 3-9x40 I have on a 257 Roberts rifle. I had the scope on 3x doing the boresighting before launching a bullet down range. I was seated at the bench behind the rifle, and reached up over the scope's ocular to crank up the power to 9x. I didn't have gloves on, and was unable to turn the ring. I had to stand up, and grab the ring with both hands to forcefully turn it up to 9x. That's BS. If this was a new problem, I'd take a different tack. It's not a new problem.
So, no more Leupolds for me, of any configuration, variable or fixed power, until that problem is resolved in production.
Zeiss, you have a new customer... I have two Zeiss Conquests and feel they are an outstanding scope considering the price for them.
Oh, and one more thing for Leupold. Not long ago, I wanted to buy two of the VX-3's they came out with. The first one I bought was a 1.5 to 5x. When I got it installed on a rifle and went to the range to sight it in, I had the same problem attempting to turn the windage and elevation knobs I had with the power ring yesterday. They were, and still are, VERY difficult to turn. So, I stopped my buying at one VX-3. I just don't need another difficult scope to contend with.
I'd welcome a Leupold representative here to advise all of us with these problems when Leupold plans of correcting them. I'm not the only guy with complaits about the windage and elevation knob difficulty.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member