I had Pac-Nor Barreling use a Holland lug on my 40X, it works fine. Had Greg Tannel use his double pinned lug on another Remington rebuild, it also works well. Some fellows have the 40X action drilled for a center action screw and pillar bed all three screws in conjunction with the precision lug. In any event, the action needs to be trued to get most good out of the lug.

The Savage Precision Target Action comes with a thick target lug and pin, but the lug has to be hand fitted a bit before installing the barrel (filed shorter a couple of thousandths). You can build all the switch barrel rifles you want with any of the Savage bare actions available, single shot ot repeater. In fact, you can switch between cartridge head sizes all the way to magnums, with a corresponding replacement bolt head, although the magnum switch requires a longer firing pin and magnum baffle. I have two PTA's with barrels in .223 Remington, .204 Ruger, 6mm PPC and one on order for .243 WSSM. It's the ultimate in versatility, accuracy and value. Best of all, you can do it yourself.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/02/09.