I have just got back in after a quick afternoon session using my Anschutz 1517 HMR. I say quick because I had to curtail the session when a bullet jammed in the barrel.

I had already shot a couple of rabbits, one head shot at 110 yards, but then I missed a sitter at about 90 yards. Usual bang, but no crack and there was no reaction from the rabbit - he just sat there unconcerned. So, I quickly tried to reload the next round from the magazine - however the next cartridge would not go fully into the chamber, the bolt very nearly closed but not quite.

Remembering similar incidents reported, I then removed the bolt and peered into the barrel - no daylight to be seen! That was a bit scary!

At home I used an aluminium rod to knock out the bullet. I can see the rifling marks on the bullet body and of course the plastic tip has been flattened by the aluminium rod.

The rifle barrel gets cleaned regularly using brushes and, in fact, was only cleaned - about 10 shots before this incident.

I bought the ammo' recently, 500 rounds, and have fired about 60. Remington V-Max Batch # D06N01.

The case looks like new apart from the firing pin indentation. Most of the powder is intact but clumped together. The neck has a hairline crack.

Now I had no idea that the barrel was obstructed so maybe the HMR blow ups are being caused by barrel obstruction ? See link for article testing HM2.
http://www.eabco.com/17HM2Testing.htm

Last edited by Bad_Wolf; 10/25/09.