My brother and I went out thursday morning. Got to our spot just a little before daylight. We made our way down to a to a spot where we could look over the clearcut and waited for daylight. Sun comes up and we spend about an hour glassing the hillsides. We saw a couple of deer going into a draw but didn't get a good look at them. It was raining and cold as hell and the wind blowing at out back made it barely tolorible. After deciding that the deer that we saw were gone we made our way back to the truck. He gets in and I had to piss and while he was waiting he spots the 3 deer heading across the clearcut and one has horns for sure. he got out and I got out the spotting scope. I put it up and there was 2 bucks following a doe. the front one was really big I was spotting and my brother shoots and misses. At that point I realized that the deer in the back was also a buck so I decided to get my rifle ready. While I was messing with my rifle the deer went into some thick cover and out of site. I got back to the spotting scope and started scanning the edges of the thick stuff. A deer comes out into a slide on the east side of the brush. I couldn't get a range on him because of the rain and fog but knowing the clearcut very well I dialed in my target turrets held on the deer and squezzed the trigger. When I got back on the deer he was rolling down the hill and landed in a creek in the middle of the slide. I watched him and he picked his head up so I let him have it again. he got up and rolled down the hill end over end about 6 times and out of site. I thought it was the bigger one and as I was going over to get it I was thinking about where I was going to hang him in my trophy room. I got over there and found this guy.

[Linked Image]

We looked to make sure that my brother didn't hit the buck he shot at for about 2 hours and found nothing.

I was pretty bummed out that we didn't get the big one but I guess that is the way it goes.

I went back to the same spot the next day when the weather was cooperating and ranged the spot where I had shot him at 546 yards. My scope was dialed in for 550. It pays to know the areas you are hunting well.

And thats the story Maybe I will get him next year.