Kla: I have killed Grouse of many types over the years.
I have actually killed them with hand thrown stones and sticks!
I have also killed them with pellet guns, arrows, sling shots, shotguns, Rifles and pistols!
I can pretty consistently strike the Grouse with my various 22 Rifles in the base of the neck - which is my preferred aiming point.
You can do it as well.
I like eating Grouse but I am often up in Grouse country during the very long archery Elk Hunting season so being quiet is important!
Speaking of being quiet I was Elk Hunting a huge basin with "an acquaintance" of mine near the end of the Rifle season here in SW Montana. We had tracked a herd of Elk into one particular drainage and we had split up - each taking a "side".
I hear four shots ring out from my "acquaintances" side of the valley. My first thought was wow he got an Elk - now the work begins!
I divert and head for him. About 10 minutes later I come upon him and he is packing 4 (four!) Spruce Grouse. The four shots from his 300 Winchester Magnum had put an end to any chance of jumping those Elk that day!
He had killed four Grouse in a tree from a flock of ten or so that were in that tree.
Needless to say I won't be showing that "acquaintance" any more "Elky" basins!
I use hollow-points in my 22's and aim for the base of the neck on Grouse.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy