I don�t know what the original author means by �poor� design. The Rugers are widely regarded as very strong receivers and Ruger�s the investment cast manufacturing process is superior to hot forging in my opinion. It is true that Mr. Ruger had the attitude of �not one penny� for features which didn�t add function, so you don�t find black end caps on the fore stocks, etc., which keeps costs down and helps make the Rugers more affordable to the end consumer. Forgetting the trigger for a moment, the Ruger M77�s and newer M77 MKII�s are excellent firearms.

I don�t know what Ruger quality was like back in the 60�s but one reason Remingtons are favored by tactical organizations is the large number of accessories available for the M700 and, dare I say it, choosing Remington is a �safe� choice � everyone else is doing it so it can�t be bad, right? (You see this same attitude in the computer industry when a company buys IBM when better alternatives exist � the attitude is summarized by �No one ever got fired for buying IBM�.)

Frankly, though, I don�t give a rat�s ash what the naysayers think. Let my give you some experience from my 20+ year relationship with Rugers:

1. M77 7mm Mag, bought new in 1981: Always shot 0.5� groups, but shot a 0.266� group with a new load a couple weeks ago.
  2. M77 .257 Roberts made in 1989, bought used last January: 200 yard group of 0.95�.
  3. M77 MKII VT .22-250, new last Christmas: Stainless, laminated Varmint Target with target trigger, 200 yard group of 0.50� for 4 shots.
  4. M77 .22-250 heavy barrel (my brother�s), bought new 20 years ago: prairie dogs at 400 yards are in trouble, 300 yards and they don�t have a chance.
  5. M77 7mm Mag, my hunting buddy�s, bought new 4 years ago: 0.4� groups at 100 yards.

The older M77s had an adjustable trigger, the newer MKII�s do not (although the target trigger on my .22-250 VT was excellent right out of the box, don�t even know if it is adjustable). They are very easy to work on, however, and aftermarket options exist just as they do for the Remingtons preferred by the tactical guys.

The Rugers have what I consider to be the best scope mounting system available. The scope bases are milled into the receiver rather than being held in place by itty-bitty screws. Nice when you are in the woods, fall off a mule, and break two ribs after landing with your rifle between you and a log. (Don�t ask.)

Needless to say, the next bolt gun I buy will be another Ruger.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/22/04.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.