About 18 months back I purchased a new win. Mod. 70 Super Grade in 25-06. Beautiful rifle, and a cartridge I've wanted for quite a while. During load developement I started to notice a few things. First off, it didn't shoot for crap. OK, I can deal with this! I bedded it, floated the barrel, lapped the lugs, installed a Timney, and went back to the loads. Still way under my expectations. Started with 100 gr. Nos. BT's and IMR4831, but experimented with other bullets and powders. Still getting 3" or worse groups @ 100 yds. Also, borrowed my buddy's chrono and found that my loads were seriously slow by 3 to 400 fps. under the book listings.

While I have not slugged and measured the bore diam. yet, mostly because I can't afford a rebarrel right now, I have resigned myself to do just that. Gut instinct is telling me I've got an overbored tube. My question for all you knowledgeable rifle shooters out there is, have any of you experienced this sort of thing in recent years with Winchesters? I have one other Mod. 70; a .338, a few years older that shoots about as well as you could expect. Has USRAC dropped the ball on quality control in recent times? Would enjoy hearing your comments, and am truely enjoying this forum.
"Ride like the wind, or a little faster"