Originally Posted by BobinNH
A few guys at our club had these long-throat 7x57's....IIRC these also coincided with the use of the infamous subcontractor barrels.I had a couple in 257 Roberts.....they were one load rifles.

These 7x57's drove some of the guys nuts,as the only thing predictable about them were how unpredictable they were...mostly they struggled and came up with one or two loads that shot well;and it was not always the long bullets...things like 130 gr Speers sometimes shot,despite having to take a long jump to the lands....a guy just never knew.

I watched, listened,and stayed away from them smile

Is it fair to say the subcontactors would have been aware of SAAMI specs for the 7X57? Also, Ruger must have had some quality controls in place...after all there name went on the rifles. For that matter, Bill Ruger would most likely see to that.

I am begining to form the opinion that the early 77s in the 7X57 got a bad rap because of a few individuals early on and others just regurgitated the stories with out actually taking the time to wring out the potential of the rifles.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime