I don't know for sure either but I don't doubt it. This year, I saw two "hunters" corner a small group of whitetail deer in a field adjacent to our place. This field (about eighty acres)is fenced with high page wire to exclude elk. Deer are able to crawl under the gates and do so regularly. Anyway, these guys herded the deer into the corner, jumped out of their pickup, and cut loose. After five shots, there were two deer down. They had permission to hunt there and technically, did nothing illegal (although I suspect they did have a loaded rifle in the truck). Illegal or not, their performance was appalling and showed a complete lack of any sort of ethics.
Later on, one of the guys involved in this "harvest" deliberately left a gate into the field open to allow elk into the field. When a bull got into the field, he shut the gate and was then chasing the bull around with his four wheeler to get a close look at his rack. Upstanding, ethical hunter that he is, he didn't want to shoot an illegal bull. When I first saw him running around on the quad, I thought he was just trying to herd the elk out of the field but was corrected in this notion when the sorry SOB actually had the balls to come up to my house and ask if I would help him get a look at the bull's antlers.
"Why", I asked.
"I want to see if he's a six point", he replied.
I told him I would go to the field with him but I would be going to open the north gate so the bull could get out.
"That gate's locked, he said.
"I'll take a hacksaw", says I.
He then said, "Well, we should check and see if he's got six points".
"To what purpose?"
"If he does, I can shoot him".
I told him he was welcome to do what he wanted but, in my opinion, anyone who would shoot a fenced in elk was a low-life son of a bitch. He looked offended and walked back to his four wheeler and rode off, pouting. I cut the chain on the gate and about an hour later, got the bull out of the field (he was a good looking 5x6). I replaced the chain and relocked the gates with my locks then phoned the absentee property owner to tell him he would have to come to the house to get a key the next time he was out.
People who do things like this are the reason everything has to be spelled out specifically in law; because they lack the moral integrity to act in an ethical manner. Now, in some cases, it may be that they just don't know any better but in most cases they do. They just don't care. Sadly, such hunters are more common than most would care to admit. GD