Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a couple years now and am hoping to take advantage of all of your experiences and knowledge with my first post.

I have a Dakota model 97 in .300 win mag that I killed my first and only elk with. Unfortunately since that elk I've become a fan of lightweight rifles, and the Dakota tips the scales at 9 lbs 2 oz. scoped. It is currently carrying a Zeiss conquest 2.5x10 by 46mm scope (not in lightweight rings) and has a 25" medium/heavy contour barrel. I realize I can save some weight on the scope and rings but will still likely be at the 8.5 lb mark, and I would ideally like the final weight to be right at 7 lbs. or under.

My thought is to have it rebarrelled with a thinner contour 24" barrel and restocked with an ultralight stock, then upgrade the rings and switch to a lighter scope. Do you guys think those steps would get me to my 7lb goal and do you think the finished rifle will maintain a decent balance? Or am I better off just starting over with a lighter weight action like a Remington and building a gun from scratch? I am starting with the Dakota because of the elk I killed with it, although I do really like the action and trigger.

Thanks,
Bill