Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Good... That's an air pressure stub phone cable that those fools were trying to steal... I've had to fix the messes that those bastards cause... I hope it hurt really bad....

13,000 volt phone line??? I don't think so.

I guess you know what a 12B-1 stub is?

So what is a 12B-1 stub?

Some of our main trunk cables are still pressurised in that manner, as are many of the cables between the exchange and the"cab" (PCP) on the side of the road..In fact one of the first indications of a potential fault is the air pressure dropping in the cable and setting off an alarm in the exchange..The nominal voltage our system runs on is 50V DC although ringing tone represents bursts of about 120v and is more than enough to get your attention when your working at the top of a pole!

Cable theft over here is a major,major problem...I am not just talking about idiots as in the pics above, but gangs who go around posing as Contractors (including the vehicles) and set up road works ect and drag out hundreds of meters of live cable...Its just one of the reasons we are looking at replacing copper with fibre although that will take years to do..

Last edited by Pete E; 01/20/10.