Originally Posted by txduckman07
Seems like somebody recently was talking about buying a 700 ADL youth model (20" bbl'd action) and slapping it in a Ti stock to make a sort of working-man's mtn rifle. Has anybody else done this? If so, post up some pics.

I think I may try to find one in 243 Win as coyote calling is quickly becoming my new favorite off-season hobby. Sort of a dual purpose deer/walking varminter. Here's what the blueprint would read:
-700 ADL Youth model in 243
-Ti stock (from stocky's) Olive w/ black webbing
-Talley LW rings
-VXII 2-7 (or 6x36 FXIII)
-Adjust X-mark trigger to manageable weight

If not, I could always find a Mtn. Guide in 243 or 22-250, but they're getting even harder to come by

"The Poor Man's Mtn Rifle" (That's exactly what I call it, too)

--M700 standard contour barreled action-22 inch bbl (keeps muzzle blast more tolerable in standard cartridges, still gets that bit of extra velocity)

--M700 ADL tupperware stock. Lightened and strengthened with aluminum arrow shafts and accraglass. Flip-flop recoil pad.

--Aluminum triggerguard, or even lighter is the Remmy plastic/synthetic triggerguard.

--Leupy fixed or 2x7 variable.

--Talleys, or Weaver bases and Weaver rings, or Weaver bases and Burris Zee rings.

The flip-flop recoil pad saves about 4-5 ozs over a decellerator pad. I've removed 4+ ozes from the tupperware stock, and I know I can take that further and save more weight while making the tupperware stock even stronger.

The flip-flop recoil pad takes a bunch of weight off the rear, the standard contour bbl keeps weight up front, the rifle balances and points MUCH better.

Bought an old M700 ADL in 270 for $325 a couple years ago. Got $35 in the stock plus $25 in accraglass. $3 in the recoil pad. 9-10 hours in messing with the stock, fitting the flip flop pad, bedding the action, painting it.

Weighs the same as my early 90's M700 ADL SS Mtn rifle with the synthetic tupperware stock.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.