Couple other things you might try is a strap-on shoulder pad like some trap/skeet shooters use, or a slip on recoil pad over your normal pad. Also use double hearing protection on the range- it is amazing to me how much noise affects perceived recoil.

I too would recommend replacing the pad with a Limbsaver or Decelerator (what I use). I like Art's suggestion of the shot-filled hole under the pad, better than I do installing a mercury damper. I don't like carrying the extra weight in the field, and I don't like extra weight on the back end of the rifle (with the exception of several spare rounds). They do work, but I just don't like the shift in balance, as I prefer weight-forward balance. Of course, if you craft the hole carefully for fit, the mercury suppressor could also be removed, while still retaining the (theoretical??) inertial "slosh" effect of the mercury in the partly filled tube, as well as the weight inertia. With such a close fit, a higher humidity might well cause the suppressor to be temporarily non-removable, however, until the stock is dried out again.

I too am not overly fond of porting, although I did Mag-Na-Port my .338 Mag. In my opinion, it would help somewhat on the .308, but that caliber is getting down into the marginal range for effectiveness/cost/ugly holes in the barrel. The larger the caliber/velocity, the better porting works.

On my .338, it reduced muzzle jump by over half (as measured in a Ransom Rest), which of course helps on perceived recoil. In actual recoil, it is barely noticable, with rearward recoil seeming to be slowed slightly, rather than actually reduced.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by las; 11/13/04.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.