Pardon me if I said before the .243 came out...... I should have have not long after the .243 was available. Any way yep it ain't my first rodeo but my be towards my last.
I started hunting back in the 40s and for several years kept meat on the table with a Model 68 Win Single shot 22LR. Done my first bullet casting and loading with Winchester molds and reloading sets for 25-20 and 32-20 in 1949. Started building custom rifles about 1960 and continued till last year. My eyes got bad so I had the latest eye surgery and now am all but blind.
My brother "Arky Jack" on some forums- passed away a year ago some of you likely corresponded with him. Probably was not a more experienced handloader around. We lived and talked guns and ammo our whole life. really lonely without him and nobody to call everytime I mess with some new gun or cartridge design.
I don't play on this infernal machine much but I do like to read about some of the things you youngens are playing with.
I'm not the expert some of you are, but have built a few hundred guns in almost every caliber of any importance. I'd be happy to offer my two cents worth to anyone with a question.
My favorites are 30 and 35 Rem. 300sav, 284 win, 45-70, 338-06 AI for pigs at distance, 35 Whelen AI for elk and bear in Bob Marshall Wilderness (Griz country). Never seen much need for belted brass that blows your shoes off every shot. But a 6mm in one form or another is what I manage critters around the house with. In fact two are in reach of where I'm sitting a H-R Handy Rifle 243 and the Bastard .243-06
Guess I need to start keeping these short or they'll run of space on the pages.
ancient rifle man

"Sometimes a discovery is so incredible nobody believes it happened" Me