I do mine like this:

I sand, clean, and de-grease the stock to insure a good foundation for the paint to grip. Everybody knows that good prep is on the critical path to a good outcome.

I spray several light coats of Krylon Flat Camo, Khaki and OD Green are the 2 base colors that I like. Multiple light coats are much less likely to run.

When the base coat is dried, I shoot the Krylon webbing, I like black. It took me awhile to get the "feel" for getting the webbing spray to go where I wanted. I find that for me, doing several short shoots aimed above the stock, so that the webbing has enough space to spread out and fall onto the stock, works best. I practice on a piece of cardboard before each time I do a stock, 'cause I don't do them very often and I am not the best painter around.

When the webbing is dry, I spray a light top coat of Krylon Satin clear coat.

Since this is painted on, rather than molded in, it will scratch and chip if you bump it around, but I've never had the webbing peel or flake off a stock without help.

Spraying the webbing on before the base coat has dried would probably work pretty well, but it might not have as much texture as when it is srayed on a dry base coat.

Jeff