KDF,

B&C wants $100 to repaint the stock and apply the MaxxGuard finish. They said the MaxxGuard finish needs to be applied to a wet(or at least tacky) finish or it will not adhere properly and will peel off. They said it is really a fine line between getting it right and screwing it up but assured me that when it is done right(hence the need to repaint my stock) that it is very durable.

I appreciated their assurance but trust real field experience from hunters more than factory tests.

My McMillan is olive(painted by McMillan). A few years ago I owned a B&C Carbelite classic painted olive with black webbing and to tell you the truth I liked B&C's shade of olive better than McMillan's. I'm thinking the same color scheme(olive w/sparse black webbing) on the McMillan(Win FWT) with MaxxGuard would be right nice looking and really add to the ability to firmly grip that stock.

I really like to hunt hard and hike far during hunting seasons out West but I am by no means hard on my rifles(ie., I don't drag them behind the horse or the 4-wheeler) so from the feedback I've received so far it sounds like this finish just might be the ticket to solving my troubles with this particular rifle.

McMillan's Win FWT stock is such a nicely balanced stock IMO and really feels good in my hands but I wish the pistol grip was a little less open; more like the original walnut FWT stock. Might just be the lack of checkering but for some reason I flnd myself tightening up my grip every time I go to pull the trigger because I feel like I'm going to lose hold of it under recoil.

Thanks, for the input guys, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 02/16/10.