Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
It is 154CM.
I got a couple smaller odd size "drop" sheets in .127-.132" thick. It was shirttailed in with another order of 2'x3' sheets.

I am not a forger, but I think that anything is forgeable. Ed Fowler forges 52100 and gets a much tighter grain structure. I guess the question is can you master the heat treat process after you have forged it. I think all forgers do their own heat treat don't they????

The CPM process improves the grain stucture also by using smaller and more uniform size particles--so the mfr says.

Tim

Thanks Tim!

Yes, I get my 52100 from the same place Ed Fowler dose, mechanical reduced about 99% from 6 1/2 " virgin 53100 bars stock.

About the only thing different is our methods of reduction and final TH. Using a different quanchant Ed's is Texico Type 'A' , I use pure mineral oil. Ed gets his to cut, with over 35 years working on the process, with 3 differential quenches in 160F type 'A' for full hardness. Years less experience, I ,may be running a slight over-kill with one @ 145F , one at 155F and a final @ 160F , seems to work better for me, with the same 24-hours apart spent in a freezer. Just like Ed, I draw the temper 3 times at 2-hours each once up to temperature. Ed hardens slightly less into the blade, about 1/3, I go higher, about 1/2 way, and need to temper at a slightly higher temperature.

I believe they test very close to the same, hoping to get this on video, you can whittle steel off a horseshoe and still shave arm-hair when everything turns out right.

We may have the same reasons to strive for that small grain structure, as it seems to sure take a sharper edge with less effort!

It would be fantastic to see your work with your new steel!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!