Originally Posted by Jester
We're planning our first Colorado muzzleloader hunt this fall. I need to purchase an inline muzzleloader. With Colorado's "no sabot" regulation, what weapon/bullet combination has performed well for you?

If you want to save some money look for a T/C Thunderhawk, Firehawk or System 1 rifle. They have a 1-38" twist barrel which seems to shoot the big lead conicals better than the 1-28" barrels.

I went to CO in 2006 and took my Omega and my son's Thunderhawk as a back-up. Both guns had aperture sights on them and while I was sighting the guns in the Thunderhawk was more consistent than the Omega with every bullet I tried. I finally settled on the T/C 370 gr Maxi-Ball over 100 gr of 777 ffg. When I got to camp the aperture sight on the Omega had come loose during the flight so I ended up using the Thunderhawk and killed a 5x5 bull at 70-80 yards on opening day. He was quartering towards me and the bullet went thru the shoulder, lungs and ended up under the hide at the back of the off side rib cage. He went maybe 40 yards downhill and ended up against a tree which kept him from sliding down into a swamp.

Last edited by Bill_N; 02/19/10.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/