Originally Posted by Horseman
Originally Posted by 264guy
Horseman,

I might be in the market for a new rifle and am considering the A7, X-bolt and the Tikka. I would like to know your thoughts on why you think the Tikka might be the better rifle over the A7. Thanks.

OK here goes. The Tikka is actually a very similar action to Sako's premium rifle...the TRG. The angular Tikka action with small loading port is amazingly ridgid for it's weight. The triggers are the same on each and actually is a Tikka design now used on Sako's since Sako mfg's Tikka. The bolt lift is stiff IMO on all 3 lug Sako's. By comparison the Tikka's bolt lift is light and feels as precise as my Stolle Panda BR action that cost $1250 for the action alone. My Tikkas have shot as well or better than my Sakos. Tikkas dominate my clubs factory class 300yd matches even over high dollar Sako 85's. I also prefer the simpler 2 position safety of the Tikka that locks the bolt on safety. The 3 position of the Sakos I find difficult to manipulate in the dark or with gloves on. The A7's plastic bolt handle plug and exposed hollow plastic magazine look cheap to me. A7's are modified versions of the old Sako 75 action and are good guns but when it comes to the details I just prefer the Tikkas. Admittedly I've only owned 1 A7. It shot well around 1" or less groups. But shoot it back to back with a T3 and the T3 feels smoother, more positive, and all 3 of mine shoot better than any Sako I've owned 75's, 85, and A7.

Bottom line they're very similar but I feel the Tikka is a better design in general. The beauty of the T3 is it's dead simple, lightweight, and they shoot like target rifles. If Sako were to put better wood on the T3's and machine the few plastic parts on them I believe they could sell them for the same as the 85's.

This is purely opinion and I'm sure others would disagree.

With all due respect, this is what I know:

The TRG and Tikka are different actions. The TRG is a three lug, the Tikka is two, and the bolt designs are different. The ONLY similarity is the smaller loading port which certainly helps the rigidity of the action.

Bolt lift is a little stiffer on the A7, no issue in my opinion.

The safety is a two position on the A7. There is an added button to work the bolt while on safe. Just like all other Sakos. A welcome feature in my mind.

I happen to like the bolt handle plug on the A7. If you don't, then take it out.

The A7s ARE a modified 75 action. Is there something wrong with that?!

What details do you prefer on the Tikka? I like Tikkas A LOT, but don't think there's a single detail that I prefer. Just me though.

What do you mean by "hollow plastic magazine" on the A7? I'm looking at them both side by side, and the A7 has a design on it and the Tikka's is smooth.

If you just like the "look" of the Tikka, OK, nothing not to like, but, I think it's hard to argue that it's a "better" gun.

The A7 gives you a real recoil lug, not just a washer, a three lug bolt, an action sized to the cartridge, not just one size fits all, weaver type mounts, a magazine with metal lips that can be loaded while in the gun and the new magazine locking system that prevents accidental magazine releases, , the ability to work the bolt with the safety on. Now that the price has come down on the A7, I question the future of Tikka.

Last edited by Fishinado; 03/01/10.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!