Originally Posted by BobinNH
So trajectory was important back then(as it is today;I suspect some on here would go apoplectic if the ol' Leica did not give the range reading down to the final inch....many would not know what to do...), and we compared these combo's to lots of others and the big 7's found most favor....everyone dumped the 338's and they became dust collectors and safe queens....in the field I never saw a difference between a 300 with good bullets and a 338.....I left those to the Elmer Keith disciples and just continued to kill stuff, near and far,with the 300's....

I suppose an 06 shooter might get the same things done,but he may have to go to the dots quicker than a good guy with a 300........he will likely kill them just as dead. smile

Bob,

in my experience, bullet for bullet, best loads from the 06 and the winnie might have as much as 12" difference in POI from a 20 mph crosswind at 400...

deflection is significant with either, but i'll take the speed advantage every time when shooting in open country...

amongst fast .30s the winnie is easily the easiest to load for, and most businesslike cartridge going...
it is easier to find in a properly stocked rifle than the H&H, thereby making it the most user friendly...

i have qualms about trading my old 700, but the new M70 EW makes me itchy...

"Chances Will Be Taken"