I sent these photos to another taxidermist who knows the ex-taxidermist and sees alot of his work. He wrote back:

"Your right!......Every mount that I have seen that {name deleted} has done looks exactly like yours........The beetles are there because there is something for them to eat...."red meat".........The beetles will spread to your other mounts, if they are close by.....also, he does not glue his ear liners in the ear and he does not use a very good...if any, hide paste...that is why the ears are drumming and will eventually crack and fall apart....he is lazy and in my opinion, a very poor Taxidermist....He only cares about fast turn around and making a quick buck....I don't believe that cape was commercially tanned....he tells everyone they are...but it looks like he has put a dry preserve on it. I know he has ruined allot of once in a life time trophies for a lot of people.....sad, but true.....but least you still have the antlers and you can always get a new cape.....but in my opinion, there is nothing you can do with that mount, but start over..... your right!....he is a jerk!!

Any how, hope all is well,

{name deleted}

The ex taxidermist had not done a mount for me before this since 1992, so this shoddy work was not expected. All I can say is pay close attention to your long-time 'smith or taxidermist. Is his repeat customers still around? Does he still have alot of business?

MtnHtr