Originally Posted by John55
Okay Ruger experts, I need some help/advice regarding my new 77/17VMBBZ. Bought just a short while back, rifle now has approx. 200rds through it. At 50yds it will barely make a 1" grouping for 5 shots, regardless of ammo. I can't blame the trigger, although a lighter pull weight wouldn't hurt. I love the rifle but won't tolerate this kind of accuracy so either I can fix it or down the road she goes. Any help most appreciated!

Do the groups tend to string verticaly? Are they in the sahpe of a verical oval?

Ruger likes to put bedding pads inside the foredn of their rifles, and many of their barrels shoot best floated,

So, I do a temporary ,reversable test of this.

Would get an old credit or bank card(thick plastic) and cut a few shims to fit uinder the action bedding areas. This will lift the action up off of the stock and should get the barrel up off the stock as well. If it works properly, you should at least be able to slide a peice of typing paper between the barrel and forend all around it.

Take it out and shoot it. If the guns shoots better, I would go back and sand out the barrel channel so their is about a 1/32" gap all around the barrel and call it good.

My bet is it shrinks your groups by at least 25%. It will also maintain it's POI better over time and NOT be sensive to use with a bipod or a sling.

Last edited by jim62; 03/18/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt