Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Was fully prepared to plunk down the cash for a new Tundra, til I asked a few Tundra owners how they liked theirs. So now I'm leaning toward a Cummins. I hear the 94-96's had serious tranny issues, the new models are suffocated by the emissions controls, etc.

What say the CF wizards?

Only the automatics were problematic in those years (94-96). The absolute most reliable years for the motor were the 12 valve era 89-97. They didn't have the power the newer ones do, but they were ultra reliable.

The 98-03' 24 valves weren't bad but the injection pumps left something to be desired.

In the later years I would say the 03-07 motors were most reliable, they went back to common rail injection. In 04 they started putting the 48RE tranny in them which is a pretty good transmission, far better than the older autos they put in the cummins trucks.

The newer motors have alot of emmision bullchit to contend with. I'm glad I have an 05' model, I 'm going to drive it two or three more years or till the wheels fall off, hopefully by then they will have all the dpf, emmission quirks fixed.

If I was buying right now I would look for a 06 or 07 with the 5.9 liter motor.

Bill

All great information! You could go browse Cummins Forum as well, you could learn all you ever wanted about these trucks

I think that your best bet is the one listed above, look for a 2004-2007.5 5.9 Cummins. I would avoid the 6.7

I looked for my 12 Valve for 4 years, clean ones are difficult to find as they are pretty highly sought after

Best of luck and PM me if you have any questions, I'll shoot you my number

Drummond