Not being a brand loyalist, but having recommended the T3's more than once on this forum in the past, here's some bad with the good.

While at the range recently, I found that my "synthetic" bolt shroud seemed much looser than what it had been and more so than any of the other T3 bolt shrouds I currently own. After I completed my range work/dialing it in and cleaning up this particular T3 and putting it up until fall, I took a closer look at the shroud.

I don't see any cracks or fractures of any type in this shroud, yet it is noticeably looser than it was before and as I said earlier, much looser than any of my other T3 shrouds. That's curious as I've read of shrouds cracking infrequently, but never have had the pleasure prior to my last range session. Truth be told, I would much rather have had the shroud break or crack and be quite noticeable rather than it just feeling much looser. Sort of a more difinitive result, one I can get my head around.

I'm not sure that it would ever become an issue and had I not followed other posts that spoke of such issues, I would likely just pay it very little, if any, attention. But, being a bit anal in that regard, I started looking for a way to resolve said issue. My first call was to Beretta which in past years has been quite fruitful and amicable.......not so much this day, however.

I spoke with some representative who, from the get-go, was not much interested, in fact, he seemed somewhat annoyed. I had the serial # and gave it to him which he used to date my 300WSM T3. Vintage - 2004. I discussed the shroud issue with him and he said the rifle is way past it's warranty period, which I told him I understood completely. My question was had Beretta/Sako/Tikka done anything in the past few years to resolve this shroud issue, as it isn't a rare occurance. He said that he has two 4 year old T3's and never has had a problem with either. I held my tongue and suggested that he nevertheless, had to be aware of there being a problem 'cuz it wasn't just a recent nor rare issue. Any and every forum speaks of this issue, whether a huge issue or not. I also said that it might have been a prudent idea to use a metal liner in the T3's bolt shroud as do the A7's. He said that it just worked out that way, but had nothing to do with the T3's bolt shroud issues..............hmmmmmmm.

Soooooo, Brownell's sells these puppies for about $40 each, part #S5850243, for those in need....now or perhaps a bit later......wink.

I wasn't looking for a handout, but moreso a response that they had accepted that there was an issue and that they had taken steps to resolve the T3 bolt shroud issue. Obviously, that wasn't the case, unfortunately.

Would their lack of responsiveness to this obvious problem deter me from purchasing another T3 in the future.......no, probably not. But if another company offered a similiar product with a similiar price tag, I'd definitely give it a look, whereas before, I likely would not have.

I'm thinkin' that the manufacture of the A7 might encompass a bit more attention to detail and might very well be worth a serious look see........what do you say Sam?........grin.

Just a heads up and some info that might assist others who run into the same issue. By-passing this particular Beretta rep.....likely the most useful part......grin. Honestly, it's a 50/50 deal on who answers the phone, as with most things.

**BTW - an Australian company now manufactures a metal bolt shroud for the T3's. They run about $80 and if I ever need to replace yet another "synthetic" T3 bolt shroud, I may take that leap instead. Just Google up "T3 Bolt Shroud" and I'm sure it'll get you there. I'm bettin' that the Beretta rep I had the pleasure of speaking with this mornin' was well aware of this Australian companies offering......suppose they offer it up because the T3 bolt shroud cracking issue is such a rare occurance.........wink.

Last edited by magnumb; 03/22/10.