Re: Sako actions.

I am by no means an expert, but here is my understanding based on what I have read.

The first version of the Sako small action was the L-46, which was introduced in the late 40s, initially designed for the .22 Hornet and .218 Bee, and was chambered in .222 Rem beginning around 1950-51. These actions had the box-shaped bolt shroud with pivoting safety on the right side, which locked the firing pin. They had a detachable single column magazine with the release inside the trigger guard, and a trigger which was copied from the Model 70 Winchester. Initially it had a stamped trigger guard and classic design stained birch stock. Later versions had a machined trigger guard and French walnut stock (see shrapnel's top picture above in his post of 4/04 at 3:51 PM which shows the box shroud and machined trigger guard). They have double-tapered dovetails for scope mountingIncidentally, although the bolt superficially appears to have a Mauser-type extractor, in fact this is a guide rib.

I believe these are also referred to as "Riihimaki", which is the city where they were built, because they had that stamped on the left side of the action. They came in sporter weight and a heavy barrel version with a beavertail fore-end.

Up through 1960 this rifle was listed in the Gun Digest simply as the Sako Varmint Rifle, but beginning in 1961, the Gun Digest listed it as the Sako Vixen, and my 1963 Gun Digest shows it with a Monte Carlo stock and more squarish fore-end.

There was also a L-469 action which was made between 1959 and 1961, and was a lengthened L-46 to accommodate the .222 Rem Magnum - information from Mims Reed of the Sako Collectors Assn published by Frank de Haas in his Bolt Action Rifles book.

Around 1964 this was replaced by the L-461, which was slightly longer to accommodate the .222 Magnum and .223. The visible differences include a cylindrical bolt shroud, and a fixed staggered column magazine with hinged floorplate. The trigger guard also appears more "slanted." The trigger system was changed to a Sako designed single stage system with a sliding (rather than pivoting) sear and safety on the right side next to the bolt shroud, which locked the sear, trigger and bolt. This trigger system had been introduced a few years earlier in the medium-length L-57 action (Forester) and was also used by FN in their Supreme Mauser action. Hawk1's post shows details of the L-461 action.

In the 1970s or 80s the action was further modified, with the major visible change being the bolt shroud which totally enclosed the cocking piece and slanted down toward the back. I believe this was called the A1 action.

Also note that Sakos pre-1972, aka Pre-Garcia (Garcia was the importer starting around that time, and had their name stamped on the gun) carry a higher price tag by around 25%.

I have an early sporter weight L-46 in .222 with 24" barrel, built approximately 1951, which weighs less than 6 lbs empty and will put 3 shots into 1/3" at 100 yds if I do my part. I prefer the earlier guns with a lack of a Monte Carlo butt and more rounded fore-end.

HTH.