OK you guys, I'm not that easy, but you have taken advantage of my need to know..Finn Aagard used to bully me the same way and rave about the 458 and the bloody big holes it made in packy-derms, buff and waterhogs..MY dear friend George Hoffman, also liked the .458 pretty well.

But, one still has to wonder what evil could there be in punching out the .458 Win. chamber about 1/4" and having a 458 Lott and loading it down to 2100 FPS, so as to have less pressure. So don't bet I won't chamber mine to a Lott, load it like a .458 and not tell you! smile smile

Actually, I gave a lot of thought to the .458 Win. a couple of years ago when I loaded my 470 with a 500 gr. bullet to 2020 FPS and shot some buffalo with it, and it seemed to kill them about as well as it did at 2245 FPS...Then I used a 450-3 1/4 with 500 gr. bullets at 2100 and got the same hammer results on the black bulls..so my thinking was where did I go sour on the .458..it was all those bad stories that have haunted it for years, and I figured where there was that much smoke, had to be some fire I suppose.

I will only surrender if you both agree the 30-06 with 220 gr. Noslers is a viable buffalo rifle in a pinch! smile I believe it is, what say you! smile smile

We will see!

Last edited by atkinson; 04/22/10.