(I posted this on another site, too.) Just got an order from Midway USA today. Along with the usual ads there was a reprint from the April 2001 Shooting Times. This was a three page article by Rick Jamison about the Hawkeye bore scope. Don't get me wrong, I think Jamison is one of the writers usually less full of baloney than most. Jamison described the scope and its use in great<BR>detail and mentioned that it is currently available at a $60 discount-a mere $700. The last paragraph read as follows. "IF YOU'RE A COMPETITION RIFLE SHOOTER, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BE WITHOUT A BORE SCOPE. EVEN THE AVERAGE SHOOTER WHO IS SERIOUSLY INTERESTED IN THE CONDITION OF RIFLE BORES NEEDS ONE." The bore scope looks like a great thing for a gunsmith specializing in barrel work, and I have looked into a barrel through one at just such a smith's shop, but an essential for the average shooter? Has Jamison been getting free tools in exchange for promotion for so long that he has taken leave of his senses? Sorry to cut this so short-I have to return to planet Earth to clean a rifle. I will be using my homemade cleaning cradle, a homemade rod guide, a homemade cleaning rod handle and homemade Ed's Red. curmudgeon