Cub,

Why did you decide to move down to the lower 48?

San Antonio seems like a really nice town to me. They have a very low crime rate as compared to other big cities. A couple of guys in my reserve unit live there and really like it. The times I have been there I have always been impressed with how friendly everyone was. If you choose Killeen, you can probably hunt Fort Hood for free. You will have to put up with the military rules and area closures but it beats not hunting at all. I don't know what the rules are on Fort Hood for civilians being allowed to hunt, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. I saw lots of deer on Fort Hood when I was there in preparation for deploying to Iraq. In addition to lots of deer, Texas has Aoudads, Mulies, tons of hogs, Javelina, turkeys, good quail and pheasant hunting up in the panhandle and good waterfowl hunting in certain areas.

I live in Louisiana and see ads in the classified section for leases in texas on a regular basis. Lots of folks from LA go to TX to hunt. You might consider looking at www.louisianasportman.com for the occasional opportunity in Texas. Just go to the classifieds, then click on hunting and then click on clubs or leases.

Let us know where you end up.