I had some 30'06 loads do just that on me.
I had prevfiously tested some 58-59 gr. charges of H4831SC over the 200 gr. Nosler Partition. Having found that both are pretty accurate on consistant basis, I decided to see how hot they were. Since my usual procedure is to load them until I get any kind of pressure sign on a hot day, then back off a full 5%, I loaded up some 60-62 gr. loads. All of which I tested at 3.32 inches COL.
My first surprise was that they didn't come out at that lenth when the powder is compressed much. But eventually I did get them to that lenth by setting the die shorter than the non compressed loads needed. Only to have to redo the 61 gr. loads even more.
Two weeks later, they'd grown again. Managed to jam a bullet in the throat so bad that I needed a block of wood to open the action. Out came the case and the loose powder, but no bullet.
Good thing I didn't try to shoot the gun clear with the bullet jammed in the throat. I understand guns have blown up under such conditions. Furthermore, I was informed that if I insist on shooting heavily compressed loads, I should load them the night before because over time they will grow. Sure enough, my 61 gr. loads had gone from 3.320 to 3.326 inch loads.
The moral of this story is no more heavily compressed loads for this shooter. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 07/10/10.