Originally Posted by Gene L
Originally Posted by brinky72
Thanks for the info. It's archived now. Just need to find some fancy flies like Ingwe. Next investment is a fly tying kit.

I wouldn't reccomend a kit. They've got bad materials and stuff you'll never use. The hackles are sub-par. Plus, they're relatively expensive given that you will never use 40% of what they furnish.

Get yourself a good vise, a thread bobbin, a hair stacker, good scissors and the rest depending on what flies you want to tie: thread (3/0 for big pike flies, ) Bunny strips, marabou, deer body hair, buck tails, chenille, lead wire for weight. A big hair bug like used for bass, except with a longer trail, works pretty good.

I've fished several times for pike in N. Michigan, and the ones I've caught are voracious and good fighters for a few minutes and then give it up. The only reason you need a heavy rod and line is to throw the big flies.

Where about in Michigan? If you tie into one on the big water (Superior) you might want to strap yourself into the boat. There are some dandies lurking in the deep cold water up there. My dad tied into one that snapped 40# steel line like cob web. Not much a fly rod would do against that kind of monster.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.