Originally Posted by FOsteology
Last year in Namibia our PH lent my son his old BRNO (Model 1 IIRC) .22LR and a box of RWS 40gr. HP

We spent the better part of an afternoon chasing down guinea fowl.

Ironic.... my son spent several days hunting PG and was successful on Kudu, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, etc.... but the afternoon hunting guinea's was by far his most enjoyable part of the entire Safari.

[Linked Image]

Go figure: Had success on a few big game animals. Congratulations! But then spend an afternoon shooting 10 guineas and one "oops" - that one looks like an illegal to hunt species. Nevertheless 11 dead animals in one day - and no pressure about any shot. Sure I do understand why it was the highlight of his safari!

Long live young hunters with a .22LR and a box of ammo in hand! I just loved - when I still did such things - using a .22 LR with sound supressor and Eley low velocity (subsonic) hollow points to cull blesbuck. Without a single exception, one bullet in the brain = one very dead blesbuck. I have used mine to shoot literally 1000's of hyrax, some in a research project. Great fun with a .22 LR in Africa, and, I'm sure everywhere else where the use of one is legal.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Last edited by AndrewMcLaren; 07/26/10.