"Well, I haven't been doing this that long compared to others around here, but I'll still choose Redding over Lee, and I'm pretty sure I did well in my choice."

You did indeed do well. You would also have done well with dies from RCBS, Forster, Hornady, Lyman and ... Lee! They all work or they wouldn't have lasted for several decades in the market. ?? You'll learn more about that as you add years to your experience.

"Not just personal preference. I have used dies from all the top makers and I don't see anything wrong with poster asking his question."

It is personal preference. I have used dies from ALL makers except Dillon over the last 35+ years, most of whom are no longer in business but that was due to management and market influences, not a lack of quality (Well, except for a brief run in the market by Savage Arms in the 70s). I've measured the end product of both sizers and seaters of a LOT of dies and have found as much variation exists between dies of the same brand as there is between brands. They are all made to SAAMI standards and that's a range of dimensions, not a point, and anything inside the range is as fully "in tolerance" as anything else in the range. So, it comes down to luck if a given set of dies fit a simular dimensioned SAAMI cut chamber very well and the users preference for the lock rings, pretty polish, neat knurling, expander design, etc.

Forster's dies are excellant. So are Reddings copies of the Forster seater. (Don't care for anyone's bushing sizers, much prefer Lee's collet neck dies but that's just personal preference, right?) Both the Forster and Reddings load slightly better, on average, than more common dies but that's due to their designs, not better tolerances. (No other brands or model of dies deserve to be called "competiton", etc.)

There was indeed nothing wrong with the OP's question nor, personal opinions aside, with my correct response. They all work quite well, do they not? So, everyone can pick a price and finish they like and buy but consistantly good ammo comes from how we use our tools - skill - not what color box they come from. smile And that was the point.

(And, who are the bottom die makers?)

Last edited by boomtube; 07/30/10.