FTR,
You should have read my prose carefully.
My first statement is NOT misleading. I do NOT range with my scopes. Very difficult to range a mt. sheep, especially if he is laying down in the shade of a big rock, at over150-200 yds.At that distance you better not need to range. Now, one probably would have time to fiddle with the turrets while you are studying curl for legality.I don't fiddle with the turrets once I am sighted in.

Now, try to follow.
1] The difference is negligible between 1st and 2nd focal image scopes.Very hard, for the average shooter to discern the difference.Probably doesn't make much difference in normal hunting situations.
2]However, all that being said 2nd. focal plane scopes, will be most accurate at a designated[by manufacturer] power for your particular cartridge and load. Go to Leu.or Zeiss and check out their varmint scopes. Zeiss rapid Z in Conquest line. Check it out for yourself.I shoot several of each, .223 WSSM,Leu. 4x14x40x 30mm LR. .25 WSSM Conquest Rapid Z, .22 Hornet Leu. varmint, .280 Zeiss Conquest rapid Z, .260 Pride /Fowler rapid reticle, and many more, just a few examples of scopes and cals. I shoot.

3] The European post and crosshair reticles and other styles increased dramatically with 1st focal plane reticles. These scopes were not really long...long range scopes.They were more for conditions were it was hard to see the reticles. However, some manufacturers[Pride/ Fowler is one, with 1st focal plane reticles DO NOT increase in size enough to be a problem or to "block out " the animal. I would like the reticle to get even bigger for my old eyes.

All I can speak from is my experience with good quality and expensive scopes. My best shots were made with a Balvar 2.5X 8 B&L mounted on various rifles with Kuharsky bases. 1 scope many rifles..22-250, 7mag, .264 mag[a real killer],.300 H&H, and others.

I have lost whitetails in the woods, but never lost a long shot animal.Hell, the last 3 times I hunted in Alaska I never fired a shot. Most recent was last Sept. on a jet boat hunt on Chensana river.I am at that stage where I take much satisfaction with my pards doing the shooting.

I don't punch much paper except to sight in or work out a load, and who needs to reload with all the good factory ammo available now any way. Go look at some of these scopes and reticles and catch up. Hell, its 2010.

I shoot .22 LR at 200 yes 200 yds. with a Pride/Fowler 1st focal plane ballistic reticle.

Shot my 1st. sheep in the Yukon in 1970 with a .264 [140 gr. Nosler partition]Sako ..2.5 x8 Balvar at about 170 yds. , cream puff shot. Wish they still made scopes like that today.
Cisco,
You are right! much better shootist. Thanks

Last edited by cisco1; 08/25/10.