The idea of a big bore lever action appeals to me.

I live in grizzly country, and I ride horses. A scope-less lever action that I could throw up in a flash for a close shot is something I've toyed with getting for a while now.

I'll confess my bias, right off. I don't like bullets that are short for their caliber. I think their penetration (to coin a word my students often use) - sucks. So far, I think the deadliest lever action combo for big bears would be the Browning with a .300 magnum ( Winchester or WSM) with a .200 grain TSX Barnes or a 220 grain Nosler. As you can tell - I'm a believer in sectional density. My own backyard penetration tests have confirmed my prejudice.

Yet...I read about rifles firing 45-70's or 45-90's or 50-110's or 50 Alaskan's...and I wonder. How would they fare in a backyard penetration test. Would they be better for big bears up close? I lean towards the modern high pressure cartridges that the Browning design can handle...but I don't like being limited to one rifle.

Tell me your stories, tell me your choices...convince me if you can - that I need to buy a big bore lever action. I need to be convinced to buy something new, something "lever" - the question is what will it be?

Thanks!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."