Well, here's a thread I kinda wish I didn't have to start. I'm a keen hunter - smallgame, deer, pigs and waterfowl. I've always worn ear protection while at the range, and also a pair of valved earplugs (Sonic II) while shotgun shooting. I didn't worry too much about the ear protection while after large game.

That's recently changed. I went out on the town with a few friends, and spent maybe 3 hours at a bar in front of the speakers of a live band. That was 2 weeks ago, and the ringing in my left ear is still constant and probably permanent. Guess I'm just lucky enough to have sensitive ears. Hearing itself still tests fine across the board.

Anyways, I can live with the ringing at the current level, but I'm really keen that it doesn't get any louder. Suddenly, protecting my ears from those infrequent deer rifle shots seems like a really good idea. Hence the interest in electronic ear plugs.

I don't know much about the different models and brands. I've been searching, and have come up with EAR Inc, ESP, Walker Game Ears, and Earscopes.

Would anyone with experience of electronic ear-plugs be willing to share some advice?