I'm not sure if I have a point, but I'll ramble anyway.

I have an unfired S&W Model 37, wrapped in it's protective smith and wesson paper, box, instructions, cleaning rod, etc all in excellent condition. I bought it some years ago from a widow aquaintance who's husband left her with an entire room full of such "investments". All it really did was leave her with an enormous problem to deal with after he died.

I bought it with intent to use it, but have left it tucked away. I suppose I'm reluctant to use it because I feel some obligation to leave it untouched for future generations.

It's not really a fun plinker, carrying it will undoubtedly wear it quickly. I already have the need filled. To me, inherited arms are all about the memories associated with them. So, I'm starting to wonder why I'm keeping it. Maybe I should sell it and get something I'll use.

I doubt it's rare, but how hard is it to find such an item? How old is it? Is it "special" in any way?

It's a Nickle model 37 (no dash) J480XXX

End of Box:

Pin (N) Barrel (2) Stock (5)
INS (P) Special Features (LOG 15613)
SER.NO. (J/480/XXX) Front Site (2107)

Opinions ...

First, Should I sell it to someone who enjoys collecting and looking at unfired specimens?

Second, should I sell it to someone who want's to use it as a carry? Or do I have some obligation to save it as is?

Or, is it such a common low end smith that I should just let my wife throw it in the bottom of her purse with the car keys and not worry about it.

Thanks for the opinions.

Last edited by Strider; 11/10/10.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams