If you're looking for ring and base torque specs, I'd start by following the recommended specs of the parts manufacturer.

If you're looking for action screw torque specs, I'd start by following the recommended specs of the gun manufacturer, or the custom gun builder. These recommended specs often vary a good deal moreso than merely the materials used for the stock. When Brownell's was trying to keep track of these recommended factory specs for their customers, the specs would vary between the makers and would change from time to time based upon manufacturer tolerance of fit between the barreled action and the stock. There were years where some specs were much lower than others due to some rifles having far looser tolerances than others and a higher torque setting would bind the action. With that said, some of the custom builders using a close tolerance fit with strong materials, have recommend much lower settings than what would be capable for the screw size and materials used. Some of their measured settings are on the low end of the scale on rifles that could easily handle the higher torque settings. Often this is a matter of experience, and it is probably better to defer to this experience and recommended instructions when in need to re-assemble the parts at a later time.

A master smith with decades of experience who uses his own hands to feel a proper setting is a far cry from having the average joe attempt to match this without experience. Some of the smaller screws and parts need to fall within a lower and more narrow range of torque to stay tight without being damaged from over tightening. Some average joes are like Marines and can easily break ball bearings in a rubber room. Without using the proper tools, such guys can easily damage screws and parts using gorilla techniques.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood