Thanks Tim!

I was up there today. It was a bit gusty but not too bad.

It was illustrative of why I'm contemplating the 7wsm. I started out with the '06 (165-NBT's at 2930 fps or so). First 4 shots were hits at 380, 460, 525, and 604 yards. Switched to my .325 Kimber (200-NAB at 2900 fps). First two were hits at 460 and 604.

So I was feeling a little saucy, and thinking, who needs a phookin' 7mm mag! Lol. But as I continued, the gusts and odds caught up to me and I had some misses....

... until I switched to the 300WM running 200-NAB's at 2860 fps or so. My closest thing to a wind-driller. Also a big, heavy rifle with a big scope with a scope level, 6-oz trigger, and so on. So it's impossible for me to tell for certain if bullet BC is the difference I'm seeing because the platforms are so different but man, it's sure easy to whack my 604-yd plate, even in wind, with that thing. Also got a first-shot hit on my big 850-yd plate but then missed a couple to keep me humble...

I have not decided what I'm doing yet <tm> but if I were a betting man, I'd bet I'll be buying and/or building a 7WSM just to see for myself if there's enough "more" performance there. If so- great! If not- great! Got a new rifle out of the experiment! grin

I then proceeded to just about kill myself packing a couple plates into a new area, much lower in altitude, with what seem to be MUCH more "normal" wind patterns. Stay tuned!

Last edited by Jeff_O; 11/16/10.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!