Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Kelk,
Thanks for chiming in. Montana's general season is 36 days long.
The elk tag comes with deer and upland game, and we are still cheaper than most states around us according to this opinion piece-http://www.mtstandard.com/news/opinion/columnists/article_ebf45746-52f8-11df-927d-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

I'd love to have a 36 day season. Instead we've got to plan to get it done in 5-9 days with a rifle in hand. We've got 4 rifle seasons, plus MZ, Plus Archery and numerous late season cow only. There are exceptions and leftover licenses but for the most part its 1 species per year except for doe's and cows. Once you hold an antlered tag for any species you cannot hold another one in the same year. I don't know if MT or WY are different in that regards.

Our fee's are as follows for Non Residents.
$544 for a bull tag.
$354 for a cow tag.
$329 for a deer tag.
$56 for a small game tag.

Looking at MT's fee, I'd think you have phenomenal value. Been trying to get up that way myself sometime to hunt. Wy too.

I do have a bud that comes out to elk hunt with us every year from WI. His trip total including tags, travel, from door to door is $1500. I'd think that's easily attainable for most folks.

If I want to hunt WI with him, it'll cost me $160 for the license but then I'd have to come up with $2000 plus travel expenses to get onto their lease.

Shut up and hunt!