The technical terminology - anerobic maceration. But in reality, just skin out the head and remove as much soft tissue as possible, including eyes, tongue, etc. Then throw it in a bucket of water, put a lid on it. Best to keep the antlers out of the water. And if it has horns (e.g., antelope) pull them off first). Then let it sit for a few months. You can change water once a month if you want. Don't let it freeze.

Then the important part. On a Sunday morning when everyone is at church, go down to the local do it yourself car wash with a pile of quarters and hose it down with the soap and the high pressure rinse.

You can let it dry in the sun and bleach itself in the sun, but DO NOT EVER apply liquid bleach like Chlorox. NEVER EVER.

Someone on the 'fire once posted an alternative to liquid bleach but I don't recall what it was or who posted. It was good professional info though.

If you prick your finger on a sharp bone - like the vomerine - go directly to the hospital and get a shot of general antiboitis. Don't ask how I know... .:(

Anyway, it works well. I have bison, antelope, and deer done this way. The antlers can be a problem but consider if you can fashion a lid with holes or maybe use a piece of plastic tarp to let the horns stay out of the water.

Try to prevent freezing...

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.