Originally Posted by Swampman700
I don't have any experience with this cartridge, but everything I've read says it doesn't do well with bullets that weigh over 180 grains. Thanks for the suggestions.
............After the 300 WSM first came out, there were some writers who "assumed" that because of the reduced case capacity of the 300 WSM, that it would fall well behind in the velocity dept to the full sized 300 Win when using bullets heavier than 180 grains.

They were not only full of crap back then, but since then, they have been proven very wrong. The 300 WSM is excellent with 185s, 190s and the 200s.

Quoting from my 49th Edition Lyman Manual from the 300 WSM intro on page #231.

Quote,,,,,,,"Ballistics of the 300 WSM averaged 30 to 50 fps below the full sized 300 Winchester Magnum while consuming around eight to ten percent less powder in our lab tests.",,,,,,,Unquote

Lyman lists 24" test barrels for both rounds.

There isn`t one damn thing that a 300 Win can do in the field that a 300 WSM could not also do just as well and visa versa. And I owned a 300 Win for 30+ years. Anyone who states otherwise, is sitting downwind from a burning pot farm and smoking their bong as well.

PS.....Don`t believe everything you read.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger