Originally Posted by Mesa
The 242 has one hammer only, with a selector like a late-model 24. I guess my concern was with the mechanics of cocking the hammer for the second shot AND remembering to switch the selector. Most of the stuff I shoot with a .410 is FAST!

I thought the same thing the first time I saw the 242. Once you've seen a Stevens model 240 with the double trigger & double hammer setup the much later Savage model 242 doesn't make sense and appears to be a "wan-a-be" Stevens 240.

I have a 240 (I'll confess that I've never fired it) I paid $375 for it at a gun auction. Three weeks later I watched another one in similar condition sell for $1300 at a farm estate auction. Everybody else including me) had dropped out of the bidding by $800 but these two guys just kept going....I'd love to have heard the story behind it. I didn't bring anything home from that auction but it was almost worth the 6 hour round-trip drive to watch that gun sell. It certainly made me feel good about the one I had recently purchased. That was probably five or six years ago and I have not seen one sell since.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel