Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BTY,

Two points:

Muzzle flash is not caused by unburned powder, as you apparently assume. Almost all smokeless powder is burned within a few inches of the chamber. Instead the flash is caused by hot gas reigniting when it takes on oxygen from the atmosphere.

If you'll check out the pressure-tested dat from Alliant, you'll find that Reloder 22 gets more velocity than Reloder 17.

Mule Deer,

The un-oxidized hot gasses that reignite to form the muzzle flash are not part of the powder or a direct result of it oxidizing?

Isn�t then what you said just complexly restating what I said that all the powder didn�t burn?

If not from the powder where do the gasses come from? There�s not much atmospheric air behind the bullet. There�s nothing but powder and a small amount of air in my cases. I�m not trying to be a smart ass�I�m a chemist; please explain, I can take it.

Don�t the gasses contain potential energy in the form of un-oxidized molecules that come from the powder that could be better used by oxidizing them resulting in expansion which would end up pushing the bullet faster?

Does a large muzzle flash mean the powder needs more oxidizer (or less retardant; ether one makes it a faster powder) or a longer barrel for it to be more efficient?

Is not a flame out the tail pipe wasted fuel and not simply just ignited hot air?

When it comes to velocity, I trust what my chronograph tells me not what Alliant or another powder companies list. Especially with the 6.5x55 when loaded to modern pressures in a strong action modern rifle with less than a 26in barrel. Physicists write load manuals and lawyers edit them. Most the sources only list the pressures for mild 6.5x55 loads (45,000cup, 50,000psi max) because of Krags and Mauser 96�s. The only load data that I�ve found that is anywhere near actual max is Lapua/VhitaVuori. U.S. based data, even listed for modern rifle actions, is low and slow. I'm not telling anyone to go off and do something dangerous. Start low, work up, and know when to stop. I just know for a fact from loading and shooting a lot of 6.5x55 in modern rifles that there is more to be had from the cartridge then anyone will tell you. In full form, it�s just a half a step under the 6.5x284 and 6.5-06 in any give barrel length. Not bad for being nearly 120 years old.