With all the collective knowledge here at the campfire I wanted to get some input on the removal of a palm tree stump. Growing up in rural MN removing a tree stump was pretty straight forward get a big enough piece of equipment and rip it out.

Here in FL I need to get rid of a palm tree stump that is interfering with the main plumbing line running to the city main. A multitude of potential problems await it seems as in accordance with famous Murphy of law fame.

1. Location: Not to belittle our fine surveyors and public works employees of the 1950's but for some reason the lot layout and the city sewer main do not connect. Thus we have a 20 foot easement into the neighbors lot. The offending tree is of course on the other side of the fence.

2. Obstacles: A large oak tree to one side and a powerline pole to the other. Lots of wires and junk to work around.

3. Utilities: Buried gas line, the aforementioned sewer pipe and other stuff like that.

4. Size of the stump this was a clump of about 4 or 5 palms that had not been maintained in many years so the stump is a bunch of little stumps fused together I think. But it is about 4 feet across.

So I need to figure out the best way to remove this thing so I can bring in the plumber to make the final conversion from Orangeburg pipe to pvc. Main thing is to not damage the sewer pipe in taking out the stump if at all possible.

I have looked online and found people that will grind stumps out. I am not sure if a small bob cat type excavator would be able to get it out. Large equipment will probably not be able to get at it.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~